Founder's Wing (Main Wing)
This wing (the original museum) has been named the Founders Wing in memory of the dedicated ladies who were instrumental in the conception and creation of the Museum. Displayed in this wing is a Victorian Parlor, along with memorabilia belonging to former Kansas governor William H. Avery. This wing also houses a wonderful pictorial record of the City of Wakefield since its founding in 1869 and the Museum’s gift shop featuring handcrafted items for sale.
Founder's Wing (Lower Level)
This wing displays a collection of telephones, Wild Bill Hickok’s trunk, musical equipment including phonographs, beauty shop equipment, items which could be found in a Shoe Cobbler’s Shop, a One-room School House, an Old Country Store, and a turn of the century Country Kitchen/Pantry, along with other displays.
Berner Wing (Upper Level)
This wing is divided into two sections adorned with stained glass memorial windows. The first section is dedicated to a Children’s Area containing children’s furniture, collections of antique toys, children’s books, dolls, and clothes. The second area contains a collection of turn of the century dining room furniture, piano and organ, china and table settings.
BERNER WING (Lower Level)
A pictorial standing album dedicated to the men and women from the Wakefield community who served in the military, and an extensive collection of Military uniforms and artifacts dating from the Civil War to the present, can be found in this area. Collections of bells, salt and pepper shakers, fishing tackle, Native American and African artifacts, local business advertisements and memorabilia, and a pictorial standing album paying tribute to the local area athletes, can also be found in this wing.
Rau Wing (Upper Level)
Referred to as the textile wing, the Rau Wing houses displays of vintage clothing, hats, and accessories staged among pieces of furniture once belonging to early settlers of the surrounding communities. Displays are changed yearly to showcase different seasonal clothing. Extensive collections of quilts, sewing machines and supplies, spinning wheels, and over 3,000 brooches command attention.
Rau Wing (Lower Level)
The Wakefield School history includes yearbooks, Blue Bomber memorabilia, photographs, and collected memories. Standing albums of alumni class pages highlight important events and activities of individual classes from 1923 through 1967. The trappings and records of the St. John and George Episcopal Church, Wakefield genealogy, obituaries, photographs, and newspaper archives dating back to the 1870’s are available for research. The Museum staff is available to help research your family history.